How can we live more sustainably and more self-sufficiently? How can we implement green living changes for a busy New Brunswick family little by little without giving up too much? How can we manage to accomplish this easily and cost effectively? Let's see how green the Levesque's have gotten thus far and how much greener we can get. My guess is we have lots of room for improvement.
Tuesday, 20 September 2011
HE Detergent versus DIY Detergent
Although I didn't really want to depart with my old set, three weeks ago we bought a new LG High Efficiency (HE) washer and dryer. As most of you know since I started this blog I have taken to making my own DIY Laundry detergent which is less than a penny per load, does not contain any chemicals or dyes and I get the satisfaction of always being able to produce more without lugging around heavy bottles.
So I have been getting asked whether or not I tried it in my new HE washer. Well honestly, when we got our new set we went out and bought the detergent that says HE on the front and called it a day. That was until I ran out today and had to buy a bottle at nearly $8 that only does 20 loads. That was especially painful since I have perfectly good DIY laundry detergent in my cupboard. So I did some research.
According to the Tide and Sunlight websites, HE detergents have been specially designed to work in HE washers and do not leave behind unwanted suds on your clothes or in your washer. So basically it just suds less. That's it. Did I just fall for marketing spiel with the ”special” HE detergent? Is it just another advertising mechanism to push consumers to buy “special soap” for unnecessarily high prices?
Well check out my picture above. My DIY laundry soap that gets my clothes fresh and clean is less sudsing than the Tide HE I compared it against. To test I put a tbsp of detergent in one cup of water and shook 30 times.
So I now use my DIY soap in my HE washer! Better for me and the environment! Actually my husband gave me a compliment recently that using the DIY detergent keeps the washing machine smelling better and allows us to clean the washer less.
To Make Your Own DIY Detergent
http://turninggreensavinggreen.blogspot.com/2011/06/laundry-detergent-switching-to-levesque.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment