Saturday, 16 July 2011

Sun Soother Tea for Sun Burns

It's summertime and we all love to soak in the sun! However, due to a recent full weekend by the pool and at the beach, the sun left me with a wicked sunburn on my back. Looking for some relief in addition to my several applied layers of aloe vera, I came across a a nice tip by the "Queen of Green" for making sun soother tea to apply to the skin. Since I love ice tea anyway I figured I would give it a try and if it didn't help my skin I would just drink it.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Shelf-life: 1 week stored in fridge

Ingredients:

4 oz. or a handful of fresh mint leaves (peppermint or spearmint)
3-4 black tea bags (plain black, orange peko or earl grey)
1 L hot tap water

Combine all ingredients in a glass jug. Steep for 10 minutes. Strain out herbs and compost tea bags. Cool solution in the fridge, then apply with face cloth to burned area. Keep skin uncovered or loosely covered after applying. Remember tea can stain so watch for that.

Why it works:
  • Tea contains tannic acid which draws heat out of the burn and restores the skin's acid balance.
  • Mint has an all natural cooling effect.
By the way for a nice sweet tea just add 1/2 - 1 cup of sugar. You can also add a bit of lemon or lime juice for zing. Also found several postings of people who did this recipe with green tea so that may be worth a try as well.

Queen of Green - Sun Soother Tea
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=215604338470926

What to look for in buying after sun lotion?
http://www.greenyour.com/body/personal-care/sun-care/tips/choose-natural-after-sun-lotion

No comments: