One of the most wasteful products I feel I spend our money on is paper towel and I have always wanted to say "Bye Bye" to the paper towel holder on my counter top. It is ugly, takes up space and has always seemed so wasteful. Here are some other ugly facts that convinced me to banish it.
Over the years I have used it less and less so in my house it rarely gets used except for glass cleaning and "emergencies". An "emergency" being one of my kiddos knocking over their juice glass which seems to happen at least 3 times a week. - Once used, paper towels cannot be recycled.
- As many as 51,000 trees per day are required to replace the number of paper towels that are discarded every day.
- Your typical paper towel is manufactured using chlorine, which releases carcinogenic dioxins and furans.
Today the paper towel holder has been banished to the pantry! Gone! Ok it is not completely gone but it is gone from the counter and out of site is out of mind. Why? How am I going to clean my glass because I hate streaks and nothing else seems to work. I discovered newspaper! This works so well. Apparently this is a common tip but I never heard of this before. Instead of throwing out my used newspapers I stash some for glass cleaning.
Just crumple a sheet up, use your cleaner of choice and wipe. No lint and no streaks!
Cost Savings: $216 per year
We buy a Kirkland (Costco) package of 12 rolls once per month which retails at around $18.
So on a yearly basis we will now save $216 and that is without the tax and in New Brunswick the tax adds up.
As for the "emergencies" I have a drawer full of cloths and rags handy to soak up the mess. Also getting the kids to clean up their own messes maybe some incentive not to spill.
Note: If we have to buy paper towel buy the sheets that you can rip off smaller sheets to use less and buy brown. Apparently, as long as your paper towels are unbleached and chlorine-free, they are safe to toss into your compost bin, not the trash. At some point I need to start composting. Little by little.

2 comments:
Newspaper? Really! I'm interested to try this :-)
Yip! It works so great much better than paper towel. Just have to make sure the newspaper only touches the glass once it gets wet so the ink does not run. Pierre actually knew about this tip from his Mom. He said to me, "You can take away the paper towel but I draw the line at the toilet paper." :)
Post a Comment