Monday, 13 June 2011

Dryer Sheets - We Can Reduce Them...Literally

My husband is a fan of dryer sheets for his clothing and I have tried many substitutes such as anti-static balls, anti-static cloths but nothing works very well or very long. Dryer sheets contain chemicals known to be harmful, including the carcinogen chlorform, but are FDA approved because those chemicals are only worn next to the skin and not ingested. An allergist also told me the worst thing for allergies is the perfume from fabric softener and dryer sheets. He said if you have any allergies just don't use them they are an irritant. We do not use the perfumy dryer sheets and opt for Bounce Free but still I reduce.

Should I line dry? Yes! Could I make my own homemade dryer sheets? Yes! However, this tip I found on thefrugalgirls.com site is easier and cheaper:
  • Start with the box of dryer sheets and remove the sheets from the box.
  • Divide into piles of 10.
  • Cut each pile of dry sheets into halves and place the sheets back into the original box.
Reducing the size of the dryer sheets causes no noticeable difference in softening clothes and removing static cling. Many reuse dryer sheets but I don't find it works as well. By minimizing dryer sheet size or by using a homemade dryer sheet, you are saving money and helping to save the earth.

Another tip I came across for those who use their dryer for their laundry is to add in a ball of aluminum foil. Roll some into a tight, 2-3 inch diameter ball and throw it in the dryer with every load. Apparently, it will take care of any problems you have with static in your laundry and lasts a long time.

I will try that one when I run out of dryer sheets :)

Cost Savings: $20 per year. A box of Bounce Free & Sensitive (120 count) is roughly $6.85. We used to use a box every 2 months and with this tip every 4 months.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Well this is a really easy one that I can do - I am actually doing laundry right now! Lol

Christina said...

Carrie we must think alike, I thought this one would be an easy way to start too!